Pura Vida in Costa Rica!

This is the second part of my Costa Rican adventure. The previous entry was dedicated to the lovely boutique hotel we stayed at- Los Altos de Eros.

Our 4 day, 3 night stay in Guanacaste, Costa Rica was my very first trip to the country. Usually, I spend months researching and planning my international travels but this time was different. Due to a heavy work schedule and an empty travel schedule, I planned and booked this trip in one day. Mostly, I wanted a few days off to relax- plus I felt overdue for an adventure.

Arrival @ Liberia Airport

Unfortunately, the adventure started off with a power outage at Liberia Airport when we first landed- which meant we were stuck in an extremely long (and growing) line for immigration. The immigration officials did not have access to their computer systems to properly scan passports and process incoming visitors. My husband and I waited in line for about 2 hours before airport/ immigration officials turned to a back-up plan and eventually the line started to move. Thankfully, this was the only hiccup we experienced on the trip!

Outside the airport, our driver was waiting. What a relief! I was a bit worried the driver was unaware of what was going on inside the airport and may have left without us. The drive from Liberia Airport to our hotel, Los Altos de Eros took a little over one hour. Our driver was extremely courteous and talked to us about the culture in the area as well as types of trees, plants and livestock that we drove past.

For a complete review of our hotel stay, please check out my previous post- Los Altos de Eros: Guanacaste, Costa Rica

Day Trip to Tamarindo

The next day, my husband and I decided to have lunch in Tamarindo. The hotel staff arranged for their driver to drop us off and pick us up, which was quite convenient!

In Tamarindo, we walked the streets a bit and ventured inside various shops. Later, we walked along the beach watching the surfers in the water and children playing in the waves. The beach is public, so there were plenty of people out- but not overly crowded. After exploring for a bit, we decided to find a place for lunch. My husband wanted to eat somewhere along the beach, so we walked up to the first restaurant we saw with outdoor seating- La Palapa.

As we sat down, my husband noticed a black squirrel on a palm tree. One of the servers at the restaurant gave my husband a banana to feed the squirrel, who turned out to be quite friendly!

Lunch was fantastic- we started with seafood mix ceviche with fried plantain chips, then shared chicken pineapple curry. While I finished my cocktail, my husband decided he could not resist the urge to enter the ocean and walked down to the water.

After lunch, it was time for our driver from LADE to pick us up. We met him at the prearranged spot, which made the little excursion super easy. We headed back to our hotel and enjoyed a couples massage.

Canopy Tour

The next day, we woke up early for an arranged 8 AM pick-up for a “Canopy Tour” or zip-line adventure. A shuttle from Pura Aventura picked us up and drove us to the location. Once we were all checked in, we drove through a farm area to the first station of the zip-line adventure. There were eleven cables total, which made me feel a little nervous. When I was younger, I was afraid of heights and I feel as though I have mostly grown out of that fear.. but it definitely started to come back up as I watched the others in our group get buckled into their gear and hooked up to the first cable.


After I made it through the first line, all my fears went away. I was excited for each of the next lines and enjoyed soaring through the trees and eyeing the picturesque tree-line and jungle. The lack of pre-planning for this trip meant that we were not able to get many photos during the canopy tour. =(

After the 11th cable, our tour was finished. I was full of adrenaline and smiles. Pura Vida!

Rainstorm in Tamarindo

On our third and last night in Costa Rica, my husband and I decided to head back to Tamarindo for dinner. The weather during the first few days of the trip was perfect- never any rain and the cloud coverage helped to block some of the heat from direct sunlight. However, on the third day, the rain starting.. first a light drizzle and eventually into a full thunderstorm.

We already had decided to have dinner in Tamarindo that night and no one seemed to advise against the idea, so we stuck with the plan. I’m so glad that we did!

My husband and I ended up at the same restaurant, La Palapa, for dinner. We watched the thunderstorm over the ocean with electrifying bolts of lightening from the covered patio. Drinks and dinner were amazing, as we expected.

What a lovely way to end our trip!


I’m looking forward to returning to the Tamarindo area soon..  Although the trip was perfect just the way it was, I do feel a little bit of pre-planning would have made it even better. Lesson learned!

Happy travels, y’all!!

One thought on “Pura Vida in Costa Rica!

  1. I’m admittedly new to international air travel, but it seems like hiccups are part of the process. I guess that’s just something one has to plan for (in other words, schedule long layovers in between transfers!).

    I’m glad the rest of your trip went well though; it seems like you had a relaxing and pleasant time. More pre-planning probably would have helped, but sometimes it’s nice to have an open schedule as well.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s