Make this dish with your favorite veggies inside. For this version, I created three layers with different combinations of vegetables and cheese. The bottom layer is fresh broccoli florets and thinly sliced carrots with ricotta cheese. The middle layer is sliced eggplant, artichoke hearts and crumbled goat cheese. The top layer is sliced zucchini with fresh sliced mozzarella. The cauliflower sauce is what really brings the entire dish together and is absolutely delicious on it’s own!
I very rarely measure out my food, but here is the list of ingredients:
- 2 heads of cauliflower- chopped and boiled
- 2-3 cloves of garlic- finely chopped and sauteed in butter
- 2 heads of broccoli (can be one if larger size)- chopped into smaller pieces and steamed
- carrots- cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant- thinly sliced and pan fried
- 1 jar of artichoke hearts- drained and then sauteed
- 2 zucchinis- sliced and cooked in olive oil
- ricotta cheese (I used low-fat)
- crumbled goat cheese
- fresh mozzarella- sliced about 1/3 – 1/2 inch thick
- whole wheat lasagna noodles
- chicken stock
- grated parmesan cheese
- salt/pepper to taste
To make the sauce, I removed the cooked cauliflower from the boiling water/chicken stock mix via slotted spoon into a blender with the butter/garlic mixture. I transferred about 1/3 of the cauliflower, along with 1/3 cup of cooking fluids. I blended this well and used salt/pepper to taste throughout the process. I again transferred about 1/3 of the cauliflower to the blended mixture- this time adding about two tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese. Blend well, then repeat with the remaining cauliflower. Add more fluid, as needed to create the consistency you prefer. I wanted a thicker sauce, so I limited the amount of fluids added. Also, feel free to add or even eliminate the grated parm.
I used the leftover chicken stock/water mixture to cook my lasagna noodles (follow package directions). In the meantime, I cooked my veggies as outlined in the ingredients list. When the noodles were done, I prepped my lasagna dish for it’s final cook time in the oven. (Preheat to 375 degrees F.) First down is the cauliflower sauce, then bottom layer of veggies and cheese. Layer noodles on top, followed by more cauliflower sauce and the middle layer of vegetables and cheese. Repeat.
Top with remaining cauliflower sauce and bake for 10 minutes covered. Bake a final 15 minutes uncovered and ENJOY!